Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day

This weekend was Mother's Day! I really didn't need, want, or ask for a huge fuss. I mean, I have plenty of good stuff in my life I don't need much extra. Mother nature did help me celebrate and have a fantastic weekend by having some decent weekend weather! Saturday was 65 and Sunny, and Sunday was sunny in the morning and then overcast in the afternoon.

On Saturday, we had Benjamin's last swim lesson. He probably won't be in swim lessons again for almost a year - we would be taking the summer off anyways, and with baby girl arriving in September, we probably won't be up for it for a few months after that. That is oK though, because I think he is "done" with the baby class. He has mastered many of the skills from the 6m-3y class, and can't move up until he is 3 years old (next January). The last swim class was a lot of fun. He can now walk in the entire shallow end of the kiddie pool!

After that, as has become traditional, we swung through Starbucks and then to the library. That boy LOVES the library. He used to focus on the toys, but lately it doesn't take him long (10 minutes at most) to become disinterested in the toys and start bringing book after book over to us to read. He especially loves any books with flaps, any books with trucks or vehicles, and books with onamonapeia (i.e. ... sound effects in the language). It was such a beautiful day, we decided to also hit up the park and take him to Playfront (a playground at Bayfront). It is a great playground, probably my favorite in the city. He is growing so fast. He will now due the "ladder" style devices in the young kids area, goes down the slides himself, and generally has a great time. It was nice just being outside with him.

Also, its so much easier/more relaxed taking him to the park this year compared to last year! We can just sit back on the outskirts, find somewhere to sit, and let him play. I mean, I might go over to verbally guide him up the ladder, but he can do pretty much everything he wants to on his own.
The afternoon was nap time (as usual) and was very pleasant. When he woke up, we headed back outside to play in our yard. He recently acquired a new T-Ball set, but he is more interested in using the bat as a fire house or jack hammer stand-in then actually playing t-ball (he also used it as a trumpet/trombone for a little while). We also brought out his Tonka trunk and big-wheel style bike. Again, it was so pleasant to just sit outside and watch him play.

In the evening we went out to dinner, an early mother's day, at Famous Daves BBQ. Delicious! And then took our first of what will be many strolls around canal park for the year. Ben LOVES the bridge and water, he asks lots of questions about the bridge, cars crossing it, and lighthouse. He liked standing on the big rocks, and just running around in general.

Sunday morning, DH got up with DS and I slept in. This is actually pretty standard. I get up Saturday, DH gets up Sunday. But this Saturday I was a bit more relaxed in my getting downstairs, took a nice long shower with Deadliest Catch playing in the background (that show is such an addiction guilty pleasure for me). When I came downstairs, DH had had Ben color a card for me, and Ben also gave me the things he made at daycare - a small potted flower just starting to sprout and an art project with his hand prints and photographs.

We eventually got moving and headed out to my parents house, where my Siblings (those available) joined me in preparing a Mother's Day brunch for my mom. My contribution was this recipe for Sweet Potatoe Quiche! My mom doesn't like traditional breakfast food. I remember being little, on vacation, at a restaurant that stated something about serving all food all the time. I don't remember the details. I do remember my mom tried to order Spaghetti for breakfast, was shot down by the wait staff, and was very disapointed. So... we decided to include Spaghetti in our brunch, and then rounded it out with fruit salad. The quiche was extremely good. I highly recommend it. Take note that it makes TWO full sized deep-pie crust quiches.

After a fun morning, we headed home for Benjamin's afternoon nap. I spent the better part of it cleaning our bedroom, which as usual had devolved into a disaster zone. Now its quite clean actually. Nesting, I think. Normally I would just nap. In the evening we spent a little time outside and then gave Benjamin a much-needed bath.

It was a really good weekend.

No comments: