Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Weekend Report, a Week Late!

I had such a wonderful weekend last weekend (10/9-10/12) and I simply have not had the time to post about it because things are so busy! (but really in a good way for the most part).

Friday night DH and I headed off to St Louis. It was not a very fun drive because it was raining. DH drove until it got dark, and then I took over because his vision in the dark rain is not so good. In this particular incedent I could not do much better than him. It really did not help that a large portion of the section between Dayton and Indianapolis lacked side lines on the road, meaning the pavement sort of faded into the ditch with no distinct separation. Luckily we got out of the rain about the time we hit Indianapolis. I finished my audio book - Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, which was quite good, a book that I would have been obsessed with had I read it at the right moment in my life, but as it actually happened just found good. After I ran out of audiobook I started to get sleepy, so DH took over and made the rest of the drive. We arrived at the ILs house about 1am.

On Saturday morning we surprisingly did not sleep in that much. We got up, milled around, socialized, watched TV, and then FIL made a wonderful breakfast of french toast and bacon. I never make french toast at home, I really should learn! We decided to go to the zoo. I love the St. Louis zoo. First, its free. Second, its huge. Since it is free you never feel obligated to see every thing on one day, which would be way too much. We went to the insectarium. I freaked myself out in the spider section, DH freaked himself out with the cockroaches. We wandered through the butterfly house. We meandered through Africa - by far my favorite section. I love the capabaras, basically giant hamsters. The rhinos were actually out, which does not happen often, but the highlight of course was the hippos. They were SO active!! They had three or four (its hard to tell because the water is very cloudy), and they were swimming all over the place. This one kept doing laps that brought it right up close to the glass. It was really cool! We also went to see the sea lions and the gorillas, and meandered by the grizzly bears on the way out.

For lunch we went to Fitz's, which I have decided is my favorite restaurant in St. Louis. It is a soda company - they brew root beer and many other flavors, and bottle it on site in their restaurant. They also serve tasty food, drinks, and desserts. It was a lot of ufn. If we had planned things better perhaps we could have met some undergraduate friends there.

Stomach's full we headed home feeling very sleepy. MIL and I then went out shoe shopping - when we were in Burton last weekend, Grim decided my work shoes would make a tasty snack. I ended up with two pair of shoes. Back at the house we watched the Cardinals lose miserably and ordered pizza. After two nights of not enough sleep I crashed early.

On Sunday ILs headed off to the airport early in the morning - they were going to CA, one for work, the other for fun. We took our time waking up and eventually headed towards downtown St Louis. We were parked so close to Kiener Plaza, where we got married, that we decided to hop over there. We got quite the shock when we saw the fountain - it was dyed koolaid red because of the Cardinals being in the playoffs!! We took some pictures, then headed to the Edward Jones Dome. It was interesting just how much purple their was (i.e. how many Vikings fans were there), coming in there seemed to be more purple than blue!! It was great! We had good seats in about the 19th row (hey, if you are only going to do something once or infrequently, mine as well do it well!!). The game was SO much fun. Brett Favre is starting to win me over as a quarterback. His pwnage of the Packers helped a lot, and seeing him in person helped a lot.
After the game we headed to Champaign, IL to spend a night with our friends B&R who got married in May (I am sure there are pictures of it back in this blog somewhere). Anyways, it was really great seeing them. They also had B's dad and friend as visitors. R cooked us a great dinner on Sunday and then we chatted and watched Sunday night football. On Monday R has school. We all went out for breakfast, and then we went to the student rec center to play pool and bowling, it was a lot of fun. R rejoined us and we went for lunch at a yummy mexican place, and then played Blockus, which was fun. I am all time champion!!

That was the weekend! Grim was happy to see us get home. It was a bit hard to go back to work on Tuesday after such a fun relaxing weekend - getting to do all of my favorite St Louis things, seeing my first NFL game, and hanging out with good friends.


Laurelyn said...

:-) i thought capabaras were from S. America... Once again you educated the vet ;-)

Manday said...

it took me a while to realize why you think I said they are from africa... they are mixed in with the africa animals at the zoo, but wikipedia said they are from south america