Friday, November 13, 2009

Lucky!!

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!!



I love Friday the 13th. I am not sure why. It just seems special. I don't think its really unlucky or lucky, but I like it. Its like a mini holiday, and we all know how much I like holidays.



The week has passed quickly, thanks largely to having Wednesday off for Veterans day. Tuesday night we watched Wanted with Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman. It was OK, lots of action. Also on Tuesday my friend had her interview with the British consulate types, so hopefully her Visa comes soon. Otherwise she may need refugee status. LOL. On Wednesday I slept in, then we watched a couple of X-Files episodes (bad blood and chinga). We met DH for lunch, ate at Skully's, and then I went to get my hair cut. By the time we got home after running one or two more errands it was time for me to scrub down the house in preperation for my sister LEKTs arrival. She is allergic to cats. With the house clean, that left time for a little Rock Band, then Book club (for Rebecca), then LEKT showed up. We enjoyed the rest of the evening hanging out. Thursday was super busy at work!! I actually had 8 hours of work to do, sort of a miracle. I rushed home after work so we could go to dinner with my sister before she had to leave. We spent the evening relaxing and watching Project Runway - next week is the season finale! I may need to have a party.



Some further notes on Rebecca now that book club has passed. I should have known I would not like it the the second I heard someone label it the last gothic romance. I hate gothic romances. They are full of plot holes and pathetic characters. This book was particularly hard to like because it had a first person narrator who enjoyed waxing poetic about the tradgedy of her life, living out her entire life several times in her head, and in general over dramatizing everything. At book club we discovered the lead male is massively inconsistent in his behavior and values (in a non-realistic way). Then the supposed epicly tragic ending turns out to be something so insignificant to me as a reader that I wanted to throw the book out window. I hated Jane Eyre, I hated Tess of D'Urbervilles, I should have know I would hate Rebecca.



Onward to better things. I now am reading way too many books at once - I already mentioned Man in the Iron Mask, also Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Host, Inkheart, Lectures on Literature, and Biedermann und der Brandstifter. I also recently finished The Poets Grimm, which was sort of disapointing, of course there were one or two good poems in it, but not nearly enough to make the slog through the rest worth it.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm with you on reading too many books at one time! I'm in the middle of three right now - one of them is for book club on the 30th. I suppose I should make that one a priority! I never managed to get into Harry Potter. Maybe I should give it another try...everyone I know seems to really enjoy it.

Happy Friday the 13th!

Brooke said...

I hope Rebecca is now residing comfortably on your special shelf!