Monday, May 11, 2009

Too Much To Say!!

I feel like I am bursting with things to blog!! I have had countless thoughts, experiences, and moments in the last four days that all deserve attention on here, I am overflowing with information!

Unfortunately, as often happens when things are so busy, I have little time to blog about anything at all and am feeling rather tongue-tied, as if the ideas in my head are so crowded they wedge together and form a dam between the brain and the mouth (or in this case hand). But I shall attempt to blog about some of them anyways.

I have spend the last four days (since Thursday night late), in various places in Michigan. I was up their for my sister's graduation. Congratulations Dr. Laurelyn!! She is now a veterinarian! The actual ceremony was Friday afternoon. We spent Friday morning running around Lansing. The boys (my father, FBIL and FBIL's father), were trying to fix the trailer up while LEK (that is Laurelyn, sorry for the acronyms), ran errands on campus. I have no idea where the mother types were during that time period... anyways, these morning errands and tasks took longer than expected, so before we knew it it was time to dress up and head to the ceremony.

LEK had 104 people in her graduating class (if my Mom's count was correct). The ceremony was about two hours long. There were a number of speeches, two of particular unpleasantness and a couple that were fine. The exciting and fascinating part was the hooding, when each student walks across stage and has an academic hood placed on them and is announced as a doctor for the first time. I tried to get a video recording of it on LEKs digital camera, but I don't know if it will turn out soundwise. The bad speeches were one that was pretty much a business ethics lecture, and one that was a political lobbyer trying to get the new graduates to join her organization. But, all in all a great and I think meaningful ceremony. I was surprised by how many people had parents that graduated in the same program. Afterwards, we celebrated with a great dinner at a place called Houlihans, very tasty. We eventually rolled our way back to the hotel and crashed.

Saturday was both very busy and very stationary. We, as a group of seven people, had the task of loading LEK and FBILs lives into two horse trailers, while leaving room for two horses. Luckily I missed most of the packing of things into boxes, since I hate that part. We worked steadily from around 10am until 4pm, and then finally were able to wrap things up at the apartment. The day included such things as five large trapped frogs, seran wrapping a couch, and fitting things puzzle like into the trailers. After we finished packing their were still errands to be run, and then finally a relaxing dinner at La Seniorita Mexican Resteraunt. Tasty Margaritas!! Later at the hotel LEK had a friend over to spend some last-minute time with before leaving the city and we walked the (relatively abandoned) area around the hotel singing random 80's cartoon theme songs.

Sunday was go time!! We tried to leave the stable by 8am. LEK had headed over early to load up the horse stuff and prep her horse for travel - Joey Pony. He is a large horse, definately the largest I have ever been around, but a complete sweet heart. When we got there, he loaded relatively easily and off we went in the two trucks pulling two trailers. We headed straight north for about three hours and then turned towards Lachine, Michigan, the location of the second horse we needed to pick up. It was a crazy road going there, lots of curves for the big trailers, but pretty enough country, apparently the "elk capital" of Michigan is up their. I did not know their were Elk in the lower half of Michigan. We arrived at the farm and went out to meet the horses. My sister the graduate bought herself a graduation present, a Suffolk Punch. This is a breed of draft horse (made for pulling) that is very rare, and known for its good nature. Her new guy is about two years old and named Elmer (or Elmo? Still being discussed). He is a sweety.

Its 10:30pm. I have so much to do tomorrow... I will have to sadly leave you in Lachine, Michigan. I hope you do not find the farm there, with its chickens and cows and horses too boring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great summary: better than mine (in which I just skipped over the weekend except to say that I graduated!)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful write-up....your descriptions are sooooo great that one can picture it soo well. Thanks a lot....

I will await the follow -up ..to pick up the new horse and journey along to Duluth.