Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Barenaked All the Way!

Last night I went to a Barenaked Ladies concert, something I haven't done since High School. It was so much fun! They are pretty much my all time favorite band. I was worried about how this concert would be for three reasons (1) I was not going w/friends who were BNL crazy, just DH who is occasionally BNL tolerant.(2) One of the two lead singers of the band left the group about two years ago due to drug problems(3) While their newest (2010) album certainly had songs I like on it, it did not entirely capture the old magic of previous albums.

As it turned out, these things were nothing to worry about. The band was awesome even down a member. There was only one time all night you could really feel his absence, during one of their hit songs - One Week. The fill-in just did not quite hit the spot. But overall the concert was awesome. It made me want to copy their entire work to my MP3 player and just listen to it all over again (this is a real possability actually, I do own all of their albums and have MP3s of many of their unofficial song). The only song they played that I did not know was the theme song to Big Bang Theory. They did all the the favorites, plus several off of their new album. It was so much fun!

After the concert we went out for a drink with some friends who also attended. It was my friend T's birthday and his BF had purchased the ultra-deluxe tickets that included a meeting with the band. They got to go in before the concert w/about 20 other people and talk to all the band members in a cocktail-style setting. They said it was really neat, and apparently my friend T was completely star struck and had no idea what to say. Anyways, we went out to drinks with them afterwards and they presented me with a birthday present- an autographed copy of the band's latest album! Its so cool. I have never had anything autographed like that. Next time they come through town I may just have to invest in those ridiculous tickets...
Such a fun evening!! I am still hyper over it :-)

1 comment:

Allison said...

That sounds like a great night! Glad you had fun. And what an awesome gift!!