Thursday, July 22, 2010

Four Years Ago Today

Four years ago today I was marrying DH, the love of my life, at Kiener Plaza in St Louis. I cannot believe it has been four years. This weekend in NJ we were totally "the old married couple", even though many of our friends there are roughly the same age. Even though many of our friends there have been with their significant others for the same time (8 yrs as of October). I don't mind being the old married couple. Its actually kind of of cool. Other people come to us for advice.

Over the past four years I have read and heard multiple ideas about what marriage is or what marriage does. I have read that married people are happier than singles. I have read that married people are no happier than singles. I have been told marriage is a warzone. I have been told we are too young to be married. I have been told that marriage is just a certificate. I have been told we are not married because we did not get married in a church or by a pastor. I have read that married people are healthier than singles. I have been told that married people are fatter than singles. I think I will pretty much ignore everything I have heard and go based on experience.

So, a quick (very quick as my break is almost over!) idea of what I think of marriage. Marriage is a promise followed by a daily choice to keep that promise. It is two people deciding to live in unity with each other so as to accomplish things, both material and immaterial, that they cannot do alone. Human's are social by nature, and good companionship brings great happiness. Here are my three rules for a good marriage (1) Be Honest (2) Don't take yourselves too seriously and (3) Admit it when you have been or are being an idiot/jerk.

This evening (no longer at work clearly, this is a multi-phase post), we decided to hit the high class and the low class. First we got all dressed up and went to dinner at Hyde Park, where we tried Japanese beef. Good good, good atmosphere, great service. Then, to counteract that a bit apparently, we went to see the A-Team. It was better than I expected, and we laughed a lot. Its been a great four years - here is to 46 more (good golly thats a long time!!!)


No comments: