Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Crazy Changes

I know its been quite awhile since I have just talked about how Benjamin is doing and all the fun things going on with his development. Part of this is because I am busy and lazy, but also I have been struggling with articulating it. It is incredible to me how fast he has changed over the past 2-3 weeks, but when I try to explain how I feel like I am not giving the 2-3 weeks ago version of him justice. So bear with me as I give this a try

3 weeks ago Benjamin could hold things and would sometimes reach for them. Now he reaches for everything and tries to put it in his mouth. This includes when he is in tummy time he reaches out with one hand. He has flipped a bowl of DHs cereal off the table.

3 weeks ago Benjamin would kick and wiggle when we set him down. Now he can spin himself in circles to reach toys, and he twists his body and tries to roll over and tries to move towards what he wants.

3 weeks ago it was nice to give him a toy while you were sitting trying to hold him while you did something else. Now he has to have a toy or book or something to keep his interest or he will get bored and start whining/crying.

3 weeks ago he would "stand" if you propped him up on his legs. Now with encouragement he can go from sitting to standing holding your hands for balance/to get started. He loves to stand holding your hands and look around (very wobbly mind you!!)

Its an entirely different world, and I have to admit it is simultaneously incredible and difficult. He has become so much more interactive, interested, interesting, and demanding. It is so cool to see him grow and learn, but I am not very good at the "entertaining" him part. I don't know what to do after awhile and I get frustrated when he goes a long period awake without being able to entertain himself at all. I would say the last three weeks have been more difficult than the first three months of his life for me because of this.

For the record, I did not get the job I interviewed for, so no daycare needed yet. I said three weeks ago that his sleep was improving, well it went back the other way and he has been back to being up every three hours, sometimes every two. He also has started the habit of waking up at 5am to poop, which is less than helpful to my sleeping pattern and I wish he would wait until 6 at least. His napping has improved, we discovered the magic of white noise for him and have been using it generously. If I put him in his chair under the bathroom fan (asleep already) I can get him to take a good 2 hr nap sometimes.

1 comment:

Allison said...

We bought this for E and she still sleeps with it every night (she can sleep without it when we travel, but we still use it and I imagine we'll be turning up the volume when the baby arrives): http://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-SS-2000-Relaxation-Machine-Nature/dp/B000F3QG0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335447080&sr=8-1