The 2010 Winter Olympics have come to a close. I already don’t know what I am going to do with myself tonight! (read probably, see the next post). Anyways, I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on the best and worst of the Olympic games. Worst first, (save the best for last).
Five Worst Things from the Olympic Games
5. Hockey announcers incessantly compare hockey to the Miracle on Ice in 1980, despite the match between the US being relatively even and there being no political battle at stake.
4. NBC runs promo after promo for two movies that are coming out, pretending they both have something to do with the Olympics. I now want to see neither.
3. Ski officials decide its OK to have two skiiers on the course at the same time despite white-out conditions. Lindsey Vonn falls and the officials stop Julia Mancuso, who is running behind her with a gold medal time.
2. Sven Kramer is skating a world record 10,000 meter race and is disqualified because his trainer makes a mistake and send hims around the wrong direction.
1. The day of the opening ceremony Nodar Kumaritashvili, a luger loses his life to a freak accident, setting a dim mood on the beginning of the entire games and especially all sliding sports.
Five Best Things from the Olympic Games
(5) Apolo Ohno and J.R. Celski take Silver and Bronze in the mens 1500m short track after an exciting race and a freak wipeout of two Koreans. Apolo Ohno ties the U.S. record for winter Olympic medals while Celski comes back from a very serious injury.
(4) Lindsey Vonn and Julie Mancuso take Gold and Silver in the women’s downhill, and look like they have a great time doing it!
(3) Seth Wescott repeats U.S. gold in the Men’s Snowboard Cross.
(2) Shaun White takes gold in the men’s half pipe in style, and then ups his score with a second “victory” run and a trick that has never been done at the Olympics before.
(1) Simon Ammann, Swiss hero of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics (I loved him during those games!!), takes flight and seemingly without effort wins two gold medals (both on the normal hill and the giant hill), setting a new record for gold medals for his country.
Now, what am I supposed to watch??