Friday, September 25, 2009

Priorities.

"Three days ago it smelled like hay season outside. (I noticed this on an evening walk with Grim).


Today is smells and feels undeniably like fall. I love it. Love Love Love it. I want to throw open the windows and go for a hike. These desires are probably partially due to a general over-sentimentality I am experiencing at the moment. When Vivaldi's Four Season's came on my MP3 player this morning I had the desire to play it loudly and frolic around the room. Not that I followed through with that, since I happened to be at work at the time.


Some of you are probably wondering what exactly Hay Season is. When you grow up on a Hobby Farm in Northern Minnesota there are four seasons. Autumn is September through October. Winter is November through March. Spring is April through June, and Hay Season is July and August."

I wrote the previous three paragraphs on Friday during a break at work, with the intention of finishing it Friday night, but I never got around to it.

Instead I went out to O'Shaunnesy's with friends and ate fried pickles and chatted. Saturday morning found me meeting friends at the farmer's market, and then picking up another friend to go to the art museum. It has been a busy weekend. Tonight I am going to my Grandma's. We will be celebrating my cousin's birthday.

I am starting to feel the crunch of working an 8 hour day - the weekend has become immensely more valuable to me. I am finding it hard to have time for a lot of the little internet things I used to keep up with, so my internet presense is going to drop (it already has). I am sure you have noticed I have become a weekend blogger. I can't keep up with facebook, which is a minor loss. The best way to get a hold of me is email.

I normally do not post about this sort of high school theorizing and nonsense here but I want to get it out of my system so you will all be my willing victims. The weekend also brought some illuminating things to my social life. I have a friend who I don't get a long with that well. I know, it sounds like an oxymoron or something, but it is true. In my opinion friendship is 1/4 convenience (i.e. it being easy to see them or talk to them), 1/4 familiarity (this could also be called history, its nice to talk to people who know us), 1/4 compatability (how well we get along, how similar tastes are), and 1/4 effort (choice that is). Well this particular friendship, I believe, was hinging largely on convenience and effort, and convenience is now out of the picture since I left OSU. Until this weekend I thought she wanted to try and keep it up, that I should continue with the effort. This weekend I realized she is surrendering to the pressures of life, at least to some degree, and there is no reason for me to pretend I don't want to do the same thing. Since all that was pretty convoluted - in other words - she cancelled going to the Museum with my on Saturday because she decided she had too much school work to do, but simultaneously invited me to a new get together on Sunday which she knew I probably could not come to due to previous conversations. This did not upset me. I had a good time at the museum on Saturday, and am not sad I cannot go today. What it did do is show that she is prioritizing spending time with other people and doing activities she knows she will enjoy.

It is such a logical thing to do. Prioritize time with people you get along with and for activities you know you will like. How did I not think of that? I think I will follow her lead.

No comments: