Friday, January 1, 2010

2010, Here We Are!!

Its officially 2010. I am sitting in my family room watching Hell Boy with three cats and a big, sleepy black dog. It is snowing outside. Life is good.

We went to a friends house last night to hang out with some friends, play some board games, watch the ball drop. We mixed black russians and crazy russians and irish coffee and some tasty peach champagne drink. We called my family from the future. We came home and fell asleep watching Little Mermaid.

Farewell to 2009, year of three weddings, two graduations, one friends death. The year when I finally left school with no intentions of returning, when I got my first real job. What excitement will 2010 hold? We will just have to wait and see. :-)

Now, onto New Years Resolutions. Some people make them, some people don't. I understand the perspective of people who say that there is no reason to make a resolution for change on January 1st if you were not willing to make those changes days earlier. But, I think there is something to be said for it - not for January 1st specifically, but for setting clear deadlines, with clear start and end dates, for your goals. It also is helpful if these are widely accepted deadlines that many people agree on, giving a peer group of support for changes. Both DH and I are setting New Years resolutions. DH wants to run 1000 miles and read 10,000 pages. Both good goals. Here are mine.

(1) Get Organized!!! This is my biggest goal, and DH is on board. Lack of organization is a big problem for both of us, in many aspects of life. Neither of us are natural organizers. This goal includes organizing the house (the basement, offices, books, kitchen, garage, DVDs, etc), organizing the business (bills, mail, etc), and organizing time (appointments, phone calls, etc). I hope 2010 can be as much the year of organization as 2009 was the year of personal rediscovery.

(2) Cook More, Eat Healthier Here is another one DH is on board for. This was a goal last year as well that I had some success on, but was never consistent. Lets see if I can do a better job!!

(3) Reading Goal And of course, after how much joy reading brought me in 2009, I want to continue it in 2010. I have debated quite a bit what my specific goal should in. In 2009 I read 107 books, around 35,000 pages. Crazy to think I could keep that pace up for the rest of my life and still not come close to touching the entirety of human creation, not that all of it is worth touching on. Anyways, my goal for 2010 is to read 40,000 pages. I decided on a page goal instead of a book goal so I can get in some of those tomes I have been meaning to read forever - Les Miserables, Ulysses, and others.

(4) Grimmy Grim Give Grim more of what she deserves and get some exercise doing it - take her on more long walks. She gets walked twice a day but it has become very routine and relatively (for her at least) short. With weather permitting, I want to increase the length of her walks. Even in bad weather (below 20, above 75), I still want to make sure she gets one nice long walk per week. When the weather is perfect, 40-75 degrees, my goal is for 4 of her 7 evening walks per week to be nice and long.

Thats it!! Just a few... right? Should be doable. LOL. We will see.

No comments: