Thursday, February 25, 2010

Too Much Mental Illness

It was a good week at Trivia, how could it not be, we got a Harry Potter question!!!

Here are some more trivia questions for your viewing pleasure! (again, only the ones that I got right/helped get right).

What year did Coldplay release their first Album?
What type of lens sends light rays away from one another?
What is the name of the first Harry Potter book, as released in the UK?
What movie is the quote “Open the Shuttle Door, Hal” from?

Other than that, things chug along. Puppy has not managed to escape her crate again, yet. I am sure she will be very happy that we both stay home tonight. The reading challenge for spring has been released. It starts March 1st. There are plenty of books that I am looking forward to reading, but there are a few I am not looking forward to (and I probably won’t even get to these since I never finish). There are all sorts of mental health awareness days and months in the Spring, so there is always challenges based on that. This year there are two challenges, read a book featuring a character that has a developmental delay, and read two books, one of which features a character that has a mental illness and one of which is non-fiction about that same mental illness. Since starting my job here at the bureau of disability, I deal with mental illness everyday. It has very much raised my awareness. It is now so common for me to see mental illness in books where before I just saw interesting characters that it is ridiculous. To search out a book where this is the case is not so interesting for me. On top of that, I have read two of the most popular books concerning developmental delays - The Curious Incedent of the Dog at Nighttime and The Memory Keepers Daughter. I did not enjoy either and the latter was absolutely horrid. If anyone has any recommendations for these challanges, that would be great.

No comments: