Saturday, January 1, 2011

To Catch You Up...

Of all the ways I thought I would spend my New Years Eve, sick with sinus yuckiness and a massive headache that would send me to bed by 10pm was not one of them. It was a perfect storm of various headache catalysts, and probably the first time I have not stayed up until midnight since I was a toddler.

I know, I owe you a substantive post before I go off posting about all my goals for 2011, so here it goes.

DH and I spent Christmas with the ILs. We went to St Louis Wednesday before Xmas, where we had a nice evening of opening presents. I practiced their piano and picked up "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear", they played the Wii, we all watched some TV and generally enjoyed each other's company.

On Thursday we left for Kansas. We were planning to take two cars, largely because I do not do great in back seats with regards to headaches and car sickness. But the ILs talked me into going in one car by assuring me the front seat. This worked out great for me, but I am not so sure that it worked out for the three (MIL, SIL, and DH) who were crammed in the back seat. I believe one time during the trip, MIL, who is generally very good tempered, made the comment that whoever said the Honda CRV is a five-passenger vehicle should be shot because there is no way that the middle seat in the back should count. Luckily, I was in the front seat, or driving, for the entire trip.

Anyways, Thursday night we arrived in Kansas. We had some trouble getting into Grandpa's house where we were staying because of a lock problem, but DH saved the day with some careful maneuvering of his pocket knife. On Friday we spent the day doing some last minute shopping. In the evening we briefly visited Grandpa in his apt and then headed over to Aunt Barb's house for some fun with Aaron's cousins. It was a lot of fun. We met a ridiculous bulldog named Louis and drank too much. On Christmas we relaxed in the morning, then went for lunch at Grandpa's cafeteria, then back to Barb's house for more good food (Lasagna) and the White Elephant gift exchange. It was a good Christmas.

On Sunday we headed down to Independence KS to see MILs side of the family and celebrate Xmas again. We had the full Christmas dinner this time, with Ham, Turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and other yumminess. We did another white elephant exchange. In the evening after everyone had left we played one of the white elephant prizes SIL had won - The "You know your a redneck if ___" board game. It was stupid. It was not very well thought out in terms of goals, and we quickly discovered that Jeff Foxworthy's jokes are not the funniest of possible options.

On Monday we made the trek back to St Louis, stopping in Springfield along the way to eat at Cracker Barrel with our college friend Ben and his girlfriend. It was great seeing them. Back in St Louis we enjoyed another nice evening with Dh's family, and an early bedtime. I think we were all glad to be back in normal sleeping situation.

On Tuesday we made the drive back to Columbus. The puppies were very glad to see us and we got settled in nicely. Unfortunately I was also starting to get sick. We both worked Wednesday and Thursday, and both had yesterday off.

Now it is 2011, a new beginning so to speak. A new beginning as much as each individual chooses to make it one.

No comments: