Monday, March 26, 2012

Reviews

This weekend I finished my first book of 2012-  Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I don't know what it is with me and Charles Dickens. I thought I liked him. I did not mind reading Oliver Twist  and Hard Times in high school, I liked The Christmas Carol, by my last two reads by him have been disappointing. I am thinking I don't like Charles Dickens, I am just so-so about his writing. Anyways, it took me FOREVER to get through  Great Expectations. I thought this was because of pregnancy brain and mommy brain, but finishing the book and looking back, I think it really was because I did not enjoy it, not even an eensy weensy bit. It wasn't horrible for the most part, until the end got really preachy. I ended up giving it 1 out of 5 stars. Pointless and preachy in the end.

I also watched a movie this weekend that I wanted to comment on - Midnight in Paris. It was nominated for best picture. I think it was really interesting. It is really about how we romanticize what has already been created and fail to see the genius in our own time, or in ourselves. I would give it 4 stars (of 5). The thing I would change about it is that there were some characters who were too blatantly unlikeable and it would have been a more clever/deeper movie if they had had more value.

2 comments:

Allison said...

I read Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, and tried 3 times to read David Copperfield and of those liked Great Expectations the best. Not that that's saying anything... Just not a fan.

Anonymous said...

You know my opinion of Dickens... did you read Tale of Two Cities? I thought it was almost worth reading, which probably means its his best book. Lol. :-)

Lekt