Monday, March 9, 2009

Another Good Weekend

This weekend flew by, even faster than usual I think!

Friday night I went out to dinner at the Banana Leaf Indian Restaurant with some friends. It did not disappoint. I have already posted an excellent, detailed review of this place so feel free to look that up if you want more info. It is quite delicious. Even more interesting was the fact one of the friends who was with me had never had Indian, ever! I was glad to change that and she seemed to like it pretty well, especially the potato dishes! Then, we left their husbands behind and the three of us girls headed out to see Twilight again, meeting up with my cousin at the theater. I was happy to be going to see it, but not super excited as I had been the first three times. Then we sat down and the movie began and all the excitement came rushing back. My cousin and I are already talking about another trip. Did I mention the DVD comes out March 21st? LOL.

Saturday during the day I baked cookies and watched a few more episodes of Torchwood, a BBC Sci Fi show that my friend Tracy introduced us to. I really like it, very fun show. I baked Maple Snickerdoodles, and I must say they turned out wonderfully, they almost melt in your mouth. In the evening I headed over the The Bare Bowl with some of my Internet pals and started to paint a teapot. It was a lot of fun, and I have to go back because I am no where near finishing!! That ended around 8:15pm and then I started the 45 minute drive down to Hilliard where I was due for a house warming. It was a small gathering, but lots of fun. We played the Wii, chatted, and had a good game of trivial pursuit in which my team beat Aaron's. Yay us! LOL. When we got home at 1:30am, I was not tired, and ended up staying up another hour. Add to that the daylight savings change and I did not make it to sleep until around 3:30am. Wowza!

So, it should be no surprise I was slow moving on Sunday morning! I baked the bottom half of springtime dessert in the morning while watching more Torchwood, and then headed off to my Grandma's. We redecorated her Valentine's Day tree as a St. Patty's Day tree and I must say it turned out quite good, despite Cousin Becky's skepticism. Uncle Curt did a great job purchasing decorations for it and Aunt Karen and I put it all together while he prepared dinner. My Grandma really likes it! Here is some pictures:

I stayed at Grandma's house pretty late, got home around 11pm and promptly stayed up reading Look at the Harlequins by Nabokov. It is a tough read, even compared to other Nabokov. I also am noticing distinct and predictable trends as I read more and more of this author (who I constantly describe as my favorite!) - weak main characters who either had or believe they have a mental defect, chasing after unpredictable, emotionally scarred or muted women. Other frequent themes include pedophilia, sleep and dreams, the nature of time, the nature of history, and the nature of reality. It is these last three themes that keep me coming back. There also seems to be something going on between books. I think I will soon need to read a book ABOUT Nabokov to better orient my reading of him.

Today? Home. Remember, dissertation workshop got cancelled. I am writing a lecture and study guide, and then, if my current mood remains, I want to get some spring cleaning done. There are so many little tasks around the house that have been being put off for ages, and given my free time, there is nothing except my own laziness stopping me from achieving them!!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apparently we were on the same brain wave this weekend... I had indian (YUM!) with a friend and also stayed up until 3 something Sunday morning. Though I'm jealous that you got to see Twilight! What did you say you're doing the 21st?

Thanks for the pics of the tree - I was curious how it turned out :-)

-lk