Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hello, my name is Amanda

Hello, my name is Amanda, and I am addicted to WoW.

For those of you who do not know what WoW is, it is the abbreviation for World of Warcraft, which is a MMORPG - massively multiplayer online role playing game. Not just a MMORPG, but really the MMORPG. There are others, but non as big as WoW.

Did I lose you yet?

Basically, in WoW, you play as a character. My "main", that is, main character, is a Night Elf Hunter. Night Elf is the race (other options are things like Humans, Gnomes, Dwarfs, Orcs, Trolls, Blood Elfs, etc). Hunter is the class, it determines what kind of attacks I do and what I specialize in. Hunters shoot bows & arrows and guns, they fight with a companion animal (pet). My pet is a Gorilla. When I am not shooting things with my bow, I am hitting them with my TWO AXES, which is totally bad ass in my opinion. My character's name is Verlauren. You can read about her stats here, though it won't make much sense if you don't know the game. Oh, and that image is totally not what I look like. If I was at home I would take a screenshot for you and show you all my character and her Gorilla, but perhaps later since I am writing from school.

So how it works is you are this character, and you run around this massively large world picking up missions from characters run by the game and fulfilling them. You know, you go into a pub and some guy says "I really want to make boar soup but I have no boar meat, go get some for me and I will give you some money and a bowl of soup", so you go out and kills a bunch of boars and bring back the meat. The missions get more complex and more difficult as you get to be higher levels. Unlike the old style of video games, there is not one set plot, a certain order and way of doing things, you can run anywhere in the world anytime you want and kill anything you want (or get killed by it as the case maybe). You can play on servers where characters from the other faction can kill you at anytime.

I am addicted. For a long time I have been a casual player, but lately it has caught me. When I get tired of playing my Night Elf Hunter, I can switch over to my Gnome Warrior, or my Gnome Warlock, or my Human Priest, or my Human Mage... or I could make a new character. I have been playing alone a lot, or with my friend who lives in Korea.

Yep. Thats my life lately. But today I am on campus, so I am not playing WoW, I am doing work! Also, I wanted to mention that I cooked my first turkey ever yesterday! It turned out very well, thank you mom for all the advice (and for being willing to repeat it). Now I will get leftover turkey for a few days, which is really why I bought it in the first place. And, when I get the chance to host a holiday, I don't have to be nervous, because turkey, it turns out, is quite easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the gravy was??