Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Big News

So, I have been hinting that I have some important news, and here it finally is. I have decided after much thought that I do not want or need to get my PhD in Political Science (or anything else right now for that matter). I am just not happy doing what academics do for a living - researching. Teaching is OK, but I do not enjoy it so much as to make everything else worth it. I have never been sure if I wanted to get my PhD or if I was cut out for such academic concentration, and I am not. I prefer to learn more and more about more and more rather than more and more about less and less, as the saying goes. So, as of June 13th, I will be officially done with graduate school with my Masters in hand (unofficially I will be done with graduate school whenever I leave Columbus for my sister's wedding). So, I am trading one set of dragons (dissertations and studying and concentration) for another (job hunts and vacation hours and the real world).

Aaron and I hope to stay in Columbus for another couple of years, but in order to do so, one of us will need to find a good job. Otherwise we will be forced to relocate. I will keep you up to date on everything of course. I have three months to line something up, so hopefully that is enough even in this economy.

Wish me Luck!

2 comments:

Sarah Dee said...

Good luck with the job search. I'll be looking for you. I could find you a job subbing in a major urban school district. :)

Anonymous said...

We wish you the best....and congratulations on making a big decision instead of just staying in a rut that is not a real delight...Life's work to me must always be enjoyable ...for we spend sooo very much time doing it. If nothing shows up you can always write and find a job editing or writing for a newspaper..I so enjoy your writing and you seem to do it with such ease. Your pictures were great.