I now have been unemployed for two full months, job hunting for five. One interview. No other news to report. I continue to feel very lucky that DH has a good job. The search is soon to be complicated by one of my friends entering the market (another person leaving my old program with her masters). She will be applying to a lot of the same jobs as me, and has a similar resume, except with more experience. I am quite convinced she will get a job before me, even though I had a three month head star. I will keep applying. Something has to turn up eventually.
In the spring (April) I made the following resolutions:
(1) Lose Weight
(2) Menu Planning
(3) Write more for fun
(4) Get a Job (or at least try!!)
(5) Take better care of my Skin
I was not very successful with these resolutions. I have not lost waste, though I have stabilized my weight at least (better to be holding steady than gaining!). I have been menu planning in general, but not as carefully as possible, and perhaps not with the right things in mind. I have been writing a little more for fun but not nearly meeting my goal. I have been trying to get a job, but I could double my efforts. I have completely failed to take better care of my skin.
This is not to say I have failed this summer. I think I also deserve to pat myself on the back for some good things I have done. I have done much more cleaning around the house and started to create some good habits. I have done a lot of reading. I have gone hiking. I have visited family often. I have actually started confiding in people around me. These are all good things that just happened to not be spring resolutions.
Anyways, I thought it was time for some new resolutions (or, with most of these, refresh old resolutions, start anew and try again).
So, here are my Summer Resolutions. Remember, I am no super women. I expect to be able to do all of these things because I am pathetically unemployed.
1) Lose Weight
- start running four days a week - I want to focus on forming the habit first and then worry about distance/quality of workout, so these will be short pathetic runs for a while
- return to lifting weights - We have a weight bench but I hardly use it!
- eat healthier - this may take a drastic change of the availability of junk food in the house... we will see
- plan menus every Sunday or Monday for the week, paying attention to what produce we have to use quickly, what is on sale that week, and eating healthier
- try new recipes - for now my cooking club is providing me with these but I have plenty I want to try on my own
- find new resources and tools
- revise and improve resume and cover letters
- spend more time at it!
- I signed up with an orientation for the Columbus Literacy Council on Aug. 22nd. I want to actually carry through and start volunteering though
- Also, call YWCA or other source and find volunteer opportunity DH and I can do together on a regular basis
6) Write More for Fun
7) Reach 475 points in my Summer Reading Challenge (I am currently at 285)
8) Keep Up with the Laundry!!
I think that is more than enough to keep me busy. Wish me luck!!