Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Ranks of the Unemployed

I went to the Job Fair at COSI today and have to say it was the most depressing event so far of my unemployment.

See that line, snaking from the door to the far left of the pictures?


That is the line of unemployed people waiting to get it. That line is longer than it was when I got there.

I got there around 11 and there was a huge line of cars trying to get into the parking lot. When I did park and headed to the museum, the line was winding well out of the door. Once inside, there was a maze of ropes holding about 60 people, and then a registration table. After the registration table was another line stretching the length of the North wing of COSI. After 45 minutes of waiting in line I was actually allowed into the room the fair was held in. It was not big at all. There were about 15 booths. A couple were community colleges offering re-training. A couple were promotion/not offering jobs but rather advice. A couple were places I have been applying to all summer. The rest were mostly sales positions (sell our insurance! sell our financial services! etc).

Hundreds and hundreds of unemployed people, many of whom are more qualified than me (the man in front of me had pretty much my same description, except also a teaching license and 15 years of experience), for 15 measly booths.

I will never find a job.

After the job fair, I called DH to cheer me up and he obliged by inviting me to join him and his coworkers at a Latin restaurant for lunch. It was tasty, and it was nice meeting the people he works with (I had met some of them before, but not all, and only once). He then walked my back to COSI and I headed home, where I now sit and try to get motivated to do pretty much anything. Its not working so much.

3 comments:

tbonegrl said...

That picture speaks volumes. I am so sorry. I wish I could give you a job!!

Julie said...

I second the above comment...I would totally offer you a job if I could! Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

so... theres a receptionist position open at the clinic... craigslist i believe... would be experience for you for future jobs...
-dr lk