Monday, September 1, 2008

Prince Caspian and the Crystal Skulls?

Fall is a great time to start hitting up the dollar theater - all of the big summer hits on the big screen for less than 2 bucks a person. Yeah, I know, the dollar theater is actually $1.25, or $2 on weekend evenings. They probably should change the name... Anyways. Friday night DH and I finally got around to seeing Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls. I had intended to see it when it first came out, but once it had been out a month or two and I still hadn't made it, I decided to just wait for it to hit Carriage Place. When we got there, I realized there are a bunch of good movies to see, so we followed it up today with Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. Both of them lived up to my expectations, both were entertaining. DH (dear husband) was not amused by either, well, maybe slightly amused, but he would not endorse them. As we were discussing the movies, I realized that a majority of movies I have seen lately have been sequels. Is it a sign of the times or of my choice in movies? DH sure wishes I did not want to go to so many sequels!!

But I appreciate sequels, at least most of them. Its so much easier for a sequel to be good, however, when its planned from the get go and not just added on because the movie made money. Then there is the middle branch - story lines that lend themselves to sequels, but are not written specifically intending sequels (mainly, super hero movies).

Good Sequels (in my opinion)
- Harry Potter
- Lord of the Rings
- Pirates of the Carribean
- Spider Man (In fact, I think Spider Man 2 surpassed the first movie)
- Indiana Jones
- Back to the Future
- The Mummy (2)

Bad Sequels
- The Matrix
- The Mummy (3)
- The vast majority of Disney Sequels
- Star Wars (after the first three)


Movies I hope get (more) sequels
- Hancock
- Batman: The Dark Knight

No comments: