Monday, December 15, 2008

Another Quarter Conquered

I just sent out my multilevel modeling paper. Although it did not turn out as well as hoped, it's submission means I am done for the quarter!! This means a lot less than it did in years past, even less than it did just a year ago. It used to be that when I was done for the quarter I could turn my attentions completely away from school work and focus on whatever I felt like for a glorious week or two. Now that I am past generals, and school is more about completing my dissertation than actually taking courses and such, break does not mean doing entirely what I want and forgetting about school. The dissertation is a burden I have to carry with me, home to Duluth tomorrow, then to Kansas to see DH's family, then back here for the last week of break in Columbus. Additionally, due to my own procrastination, I do not yet have a syllabus prepared for the class I am supposed to be teaching next quarter. It is due Friday, January 2nd, and must be strictly followed by me. I am not sure how I am going to get it done.

Despite all of this, I am still very glad to be done with my classwork and grading for the quarter. I still am spending the rest of the day here on campus though, which means I can clean my office, send out the stack of Christmas cards waiting to be sealed, and perhaps get a start on that syllabus. Then, tomorrow, I am headed to Duluth!! I do not intend to do much posting over break, so you will all have to survive without my random thoughts, movie reviews, and boring accounts of day to day life. I am not sure if you will make it, but thats a risk I am willing to take.

In other news, I entered into anumber of free book giveaway on Good Reads, and was delighted to be selected to recieve a free copy of the book The Help by Kathryn Sockett. I think the idea behind these book giveaways is that the book is new (just released or soon to be released) and they want to create good buzz. I will very willingly be the guinea pig if it means free books!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS: every little hurdle is something :-)