Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sonnet

Every morning when I am getting dressed I cross my fingers and peak out the window hoping to see beautiful, white snow covering everything. I don't even demand that much - just an inch or two. Every morning I am sorely disappointed and part the blinds to the same gray and brown ugliness.

-------------------

Oh Minnesota,

How I miss thee? Let me count the ways.
I miss thee in July when its too hot,
And when humidity is all we've got.
Oh, how I long for your cool summer days.

If you could only know my hearts dismay,
When in December it just rains a lot
The elegance of snow Ohio knows not
For your soft white blanket my heart doth pray.

Thousands of lakes can cheer me from my grief,
These many rivers are just children's toys.
Palisade head is my sweetest relief,
When flatness here has power to annoy.
Your absence to me is just as a thief,
Stealing that which brings me the greatest joy.


-----------------------

Hmm. Not sure how that happened. I did not open this empty blog page to write a sonnet, but once I typed that first line, I knew I had to. Not my best work, but it will do pig, it will do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next, a Christmas poem??? I sense talent.

Attadad

Manday said...

I am thinking of writing a Christmas poem for our card... don't think I am qualified to write the one for Duluth. I never know what is going on there!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
First, your christmas light background made my morning. Reminds me of laying on our backs under the tree watching them play off the ceiling while the music boxes and chimes playeed on the piano... *sigh*

Second: GREAT POEM. I happened to be reading this sitting next to a friend who's husband's from MN so I HAD to read it out loud to her, and she requested that I email it (hope you don't mind) so she can have it. My favorite sonnet. (don't tell anyone i have a favorite sonnet or i'll come smack you... haha)

finally, you should TOTALLY write a poem for the christmas cards! I'm thinking of all the amusing animal adventures!

ps, i've been meaning to tell you that Little Ceasar needs his profile on your blog page with the others!
-lk

Manday said...

I don't mind spreading my poetry, as long as you keep my name attached to it!!

I know Little Ceaser needs a profile, just haven't had time, and given what I need to get done in the next 10 days, I won't have time for a while!

Anonymous said...

absolutely attached your name to the poetry!