Friday, December 5, 2008

Dreams can stink...

Last night, the rerun of House I watched at 9pm, along with my friends trying to tell me my chronic cough is Asthma, slipped into my dreams in a disturbing way.

I dreamt I was at a class reunion in Europe. Yes. Europe. France to be specific. I am not sure what level of school. The only specific person I remember I went to both elementary school and high school with, and traveled to Europe with, so she is not a good determinant. I am sure there were other real people there, but I don't know who. The whole time we were on the trip I felt sick, I was coughing, etc, and the doctors were trying to figure out what was wrong with me. When I got back from a particular trip the leader was waiting at the door and told me, in a very depressed/serious tone that the doctor needed to see me. I went to find the doctor (who, incidentally, was the detective from House), and when I found them, they told me I had two days to live (the exact prognosis on House last night). Well, that was some fun emotional stuff!

My dreams are too flipping realistic. I don't need to spend the first two hours of my day depressed because the mood my dream put me in. I would rank this among my most intense dreams ever, though not nearly the worst. I had one dream during undergraduate that's emotional content undid an entire spring break of de-stressing. (i.e., I had it right after spring break and felt as stressed as I had been before the break!).

For the record, I think any death that comes on relatively suddenly, where you don't have time to ponder your own mortality, is preferable. I wonder what the general probabilities are... am I more likely to die in an accident or from some protracted disease where the end is imminent for months? Its not death itself that is scary, its the idea of death that has the power to terrify. As humans, we have a built in self-defense mechanism that allows us to ignore the idea of death the vast majority of the time, because if we spent all of our time dwelling on it we would not live, we would go insane. Some peoples arsenals are greater than others. I am afraid mine is relatively weak, which is why my dreams do not need to be waging war on it.

DH said I should hire a bouncer for my dreams. Anyone know any good imaginary temp agencies?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no, but if i stumble across one, I'll let you know (maybe i'll even try it out first for you so I can give you a recommendation...)

sorry to hear this, i completely understand being stressed out and crabby due to a dream. NOT helpful AT ALL.

-lk