Saturday, December 13, 2008

End of the Year Reflections 2

A second reflection for the end of the year, just the standard survey version. I think one of the best things about doing these year to year is getting to look at all of last years answers as you replace them with this year.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
paid a mortgage instead of rent
planted my own tomato plants
owned and cared for a dog
owning and caring for THREE cats
earned a masters degree
saw the pacific ocean
saw the desert

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I had many resolutions last year, like working out, watching less TV, treating school like a job, reconnecting with old friends, practicing "honesty is the only policy", improving my housekeeping, and travelling somewhere new. I kept some of them. I went to California, I started spending 8 hours a day at the office, I go to the gym twice a week, I reconnected with some old friends (but not with others). My housekeeping is still abysmal (but DH has picked up the slack). I have practiced "honesty is the only policy" and have been much happier for it.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope, but there is some new babies coming in the new year!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Very thankfully, no. Many people I know right now are dealing with deaths of loved ones and I have been very fortunate to not have that as a challange yet.

5. What countries did you spend time in this year?
Just America, but I got to see a lot more of it!

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A more clear idea of what from my career.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 3rd, moved into our first home. May 4th, got Grim. October 13th, (10/13) I passed generals, the most stressful time of my life ever.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Passing generals. Did I mention it was really stressful?

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not deciding what to do with my life.

10. Did you suffer any serious injury or illness?
Nope, thanfully!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
The house! Of course!

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Everone who passed generals with me deserves some serious recognition. (shout out to the third years!!) The American people voted for change, both from the last president and from history, which I think merits celebration.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and/or depressed?
Corporate America, congress, the president, you know, the usual suspects.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and bills, pet care, car care, furnace parts, a new bed, food. We spend a lot on food.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Holding a BBQ for family at my house in June
Going to California/Going whale watching in California
Getting a dog
Getting a third cat
Visiting our families at the Holidays (I AM currently excited about this)

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Anything from Rockband probably, lets go with "Won't Get Fooled again" by The Who.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? as happy
b) thinner or fatter? fatter
c) richer or poorer? richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I had done more things outdoors, had more fires on our deck, took more hikes, etc. I also wish I had written more, and read more for pleasure.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying, studying

20. How did you spend Christmas?
We will be in Kansas with Aaron's family.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I already was in love, I fell more in love.

22. What are the main websites you used?
Gmail, Columbus Nesties message board, facebook, blogspot, livejournal, BBC, NYtimes

23. How many one-night stands?
This question is useless, the answer will eternally be NO. I should write a new question.

23.5 Did you write anything worth reading this year?
Maybe a poem or two, thats about it though.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
I enjoyed Top Chef, America's Next Top Model, Project Runway

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I try to avoid hating people, it never brings anything good.

26. What was the best book you read?
Lets go with The Amber Looking-Glass. Really I did not read much this year.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Pink. I know, she has been around forever, but I never realized I like her style until this year.

28. What did you want and get?
I wanted and got a dog, a house, a third cat, a garden, lots of visitors, and a lot more I am sure.

29. What did you want and not get?
Nothing pops out. We got so much this year, I cannot complain.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Just trying to remember what I have seen in theaters this year is a challange. I know I very much enjoyed Kung Fu Panda and The Dark Knight, so we will go with those.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Aaron and I went to Banana Bean Cafe and he burnt his mouth. I turned 24. There was also a group Birthday party for several of us in my cohort hosted by Tracy, which was loads of fun.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If DHs job was as secure as we thought it would be when he accepted it, we would be so much happier.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Whatever is comfortable.

34. What kept you sane?
Aaron, Laurelyn, other friends, walking the dog, jokes, laughter, and insanity... wait...

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Didn't do much new celebrity crushing this year.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election of course.

37. Who did you miss?
Many, many people. Anyone who doesn't live within an hour of me, and some people that do!!

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Some of the wonderful nesties! I don't know when I went to my first get together, but I have been to many this year and always am meeting new people.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008
Life is what you make of it. You cannot blame unhappiness or boredome or stress on anyone but yourself.

40. What sums up this year? (a word, a quote...?) Segmented. It does not seem like one cohesive unit. There is BEFORE the house, and AFTER the house, BEFORE generals, AFTER generals. Its not dates that determine the pace of our lives, it is big events.

No comments: