Saturday, November 29, 2008

Belated Thanksgiving

My Thanksgiving post is a little late, but that's OK, since really we should recognize what is good in our lives everyday, and not take them for granted.

The reason my post is late is because I procrastinated. So, Wednesday night found me on my way to the grocery store on one of the busiest grocery days of the year. I was lucky. The store was only busy, not insanely busy (though I did have to hunt down a cart), and they were only out of pecans and pie crust. I spent the rest of the evening cooking - green bean casserole, pumpkin pie (in a Graham cracker crust), pecan pie (Aaron spent the evening shelling pecans for me), and two kinds of cranberry sauce. Then, Thursday I got up early and did the double-baked potatoes. With many many foil covered dishes in tow, we headed up to my Grandma's and joined the celebration. My Aunt Karen, Uncle Bob, Uncle Curt, Cousins Becky and Eric, and of course my Grandma, all enjoyed a good holiday together, with way too much food to even describe. Or maybe I can describe the excess - 8 people, 8 pies. I got what I have been craving for weeks - Maple Pecan Pie. Also known as a slice of heaven, especially with a generous dollop of fresh whipped whipping cream on top. mmmmmmmmmm.

I love Holidays, they are great. I love everything about them. It was so nice seeing everyone and just relaxing together for a day. As many of my blogging buddies have done, I think its only appropriate that I take some time to reflect what I am thankful for in my life - these are things I should be thankful for everyday.

(1) My husband - sweet, smart, and as goofy as me
(2) My family - also as goofy as me, and thats the way I like it
(3) My Pets - who keep me honest, cheer me up, and generally make every day happier
(4) The health and happiness of everyone mentioned above
(5) Our first home, and the money to pay the bills for it, put food on the table, and decorate it for Christmas
(6) Modern convienences. Read The HERetics Daughter and you will realize how lucky we are to have things like a refridgerator, showers, etc.
(7) Modern government. Read The HERetics Daughter and you will realize how lucky we are to have things like comparative advantage, a global food economy, seperation of church and state, a rational legal system, and a social safety net.
(8) Planes, so I can go to Duluth in December and also to see the ILs. Do you realize how long that trip would take in a wagon?
(9) Education and the ability to learn
(10) Opportunity. That is something everyone who will read this has loads of, and something we don't see or think about often.

1 comment:

Sarah Dee said...

Wow, the HERitic's Daughter really influenced you. I just focused on the prision conditions, and didn't generalize it to the whole. Thanks for the reminders of what would have been if we were only born a few (hundred) years earlier.