Wednesday, November 5, 2008

This side of night, still bright!

Perhaps I should clarify my admitted drunk-blogging. I feel like I really witnessed history last night, and it was amazing. Both the acceptance and concession speeches last night were the best speeches I have ever heard. I did not vote for Obama because of his race, in fact, it hardly ever even crossed my mind during this election, but seeing the crowd last night made me realize just how big of a deal it really is. We have our first ever non-white president. As the BBC put it , "the American people have made two fundamental statements about themselves: that they are profoundly unhappy with the status quo, and that they are slamming the door on the country's racial past."

I have tremendous respect for McCain (ok... It comes and goes, but it was completely reaffirmed by the speech). I hope he returns to the senate with the same independence and passion he has had in the past. I think his leadership in the senate will continue to be a great asset to this country.

For people who were disapointed last night, don't spout doom and despair. So much of this campaign has been about fear mongering and there is no reason to make yourself miserable and buy into it. Obama, if nothing else, is an extremely intelligent man. He can process changing information and come to logical, thought out conclusions, which is perhaps a quality we can all agree would aid a president in performing his duties. But more importantly, remember that democracy works not because people are always happy, and not because its "the popular will" or a mandate to rule, but because in two years, four years, etc, if things are not improving, you get another chance to put your woman (or man) in power. Republicans will come back into power, its just a matter of when.

I personally however hope that Obama can really accomplish what he wants in office, turn this country's economy, international reputation, and polarization around and that the Republican eventuality does not come for a long time!!

No comments: