Friday, October 10, 2008

De-stressing Socks

Wearing weird, colorful socks is like a Talisman against the stressors of the world. I picture several dialogues like these when I put them on in the morning.

"Amanda, you failed your economic homework"
"Haha! Who cares! *I* am wearing rainbow colored socks"

"Amanda, we are sorry but we cannot pass you on oral exams"
"So what! I have rainbow colored socks! I will wear them to find another job"

"Amanda, the university has eliminated your funding. Please pack up your office and go home"
"You may be able to take my office and my pay check, but you will never be able to take my rainbow colored socks! I win! Neener neener neener!"

Ok. So none of these events has happened, and the third one is completely fictitious (not even in the realm of possibilities right now). I thought with how depressing my blog has been lately it was time for some comedy, and I am completely serious when I say having rainbow colored socks on makes the day slightly better, no matter what happens.

In fact, my blog was so depressing that my wonderful and thoughtful MIL (mother in-law) sent DH and I cookies!! We win. Apparently I should sound depressed more often so we get more cookies :) Just kidding. Seriously, thank you, the thought means a lot and sugar is always good.

Also, a shout out to my own mother for sending me a great letter and my little sister's 9th grade school picture. My little sister, Michi, is getting way to old way to fast. I left for college when she was 8, so in my head there is always part of her that stays that age! But she is doing well - good in school, rocking it on the soccer field, and I am sure she will be a great high school student. It just makes me feel old.

Today, my schedule is packed. Economics recitation, multi-level modeling class, a hour to either go to the gym or study, and then a comparative politics workshop (from now on I will call things like this "a talk". A talk means that someone from another department or even someone here stands up infront of us all and presents a paper they are working on or just got published, and we critique it. 70% of them are boring, 30% are interesting. Cross your finger today's is good).

One last note on footwear. Apparently my shoes are noticeable. I got brown and green pumas (think Andes Mint colors) a few weeks ago at the outlet, and I was sitting talking to a professor when out of the blue, in the middle of a sentence he goes "By the way I like your shoes... or are they slippers?". LOL. They are shoes, though I understand the mistake. Maybe sometime I will find a picture of them and show you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANKS! for a highly amusing post, i needed it :-)