Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Night Already?

What a fast weekend. They always go by to quickly though.

Friday night and Saturday morning I was a good girl and studied quite a bit. I have an economics test coming up this week, so I have a lot to do on top of my normal load. The professor expects the average score on this week's test to be 60%. As long as I pass, I could care less about the grade at this point. I have a lot of memorization and practice ahead of me in the next two days.

Saturday night was the big OSU game versus Penn State. We went down to a friend's house by campus at 5pm, grilled out, drank a little. I had my first bourbon, it was from the Whiskey Road in Kentucky (apparently this is a big deal?), a really expensive brand. It was tasty. We all headed over to the game right on time. It was obvious, as we walked through the Greek area, that people had been taking advantage of it being a night game.

The game itself was, well, I do not know how to describe it. Anyone who follows sports already knows we lost 13-6. Low scoring game, slow going game. The crowd was revved up though! We cheered so hard. Its just proof that cheering can't make up for real shortcomings. I was frustrated with the play calling. It seemed like every possession we would go first down - run, second down - run, third and long, either convert or do not. I know we are stronger in the run than passing, but if you do not pass in the first two downs ever, then the run is useless. It was frustrating. Also, it was frustrating that Penn State's touchdown came off of the only fumble of the entire game. My initial reaction was to blame the defense. When the game was tied 3-3, Aaron mentioned the chance to go ahead, and I responded "yeah, but the second we have a lead the defense will stop playing." It seemed like this happened. We got up 6-3 and all of the sudden we can't stop them. However, in the overarching picture, can you really fault a defense for allowing 13 points, 7 of which coming from the shortened field of an offensive mistake? No. Our defense may not be what it used to be, but its decent, and its the offense that is in serious trouble, Beanie Wells or no. The fact is, we just aren't a great team anymore. We are a good team.

Anyways, since it was a night game, we got home very late. I eventually made it into bed, all to late considering my busy day today. I spent the morning shopping -went back out to the apple farm I went to last weekend and picked up some incredibly fresh, cheap apple cider ($3/gallon!). Back at home I was very happy to find the boys had been cleaning all morning and things looked great. I baked apple cake and attempted a pumpkin pie, then people showed up for my first annual Pumpkin Party. Good friends, loads of good food (So much! So many leftovers!) Many pumpkins were carved - we had a couple of skulls, three witches, a couple of pieces of abstract art, a pirate ship, and a kitty. My porch is still a mess, but we can clean it up some other day (ok, so thats our policy in general). After people left, I finished my second pumpkin - a castle. Its pretty cool. I am a pumpkin carving addict. I have two down and one to go. I will try to get pictures before they go bad!

There went the weekend, and now back to your regular scheduled programming...

No comments: