Thursday, October 23, 2008

Undergraduates are Amusing

Last week the professor I TA for gave an in class pop-quiz. The point of the quizzes are to check whether people are in class and whether they have been attending regularly. Therefore, makeups are only given when there is a record of why people missed class.

Last night I emailed out the scores to everyone, including a handful of emails saying, "According to our records, you did not take the quiz, meaning you received a 0/10. Please let us know if you think this an error." This morning I received one email back: "I was not in class on Tuesday because I wasn't feeling well, which is the first day I have missed and of course that's when the first quiz was." The student wanted to know if they could make it up. The wording of this seemed highly suspect to me... did she even know what day she missed the quiz. So I responded with "Normally makeups are only given with a doctors note. What date did you miss class and did you go to the health center that day?"

It was like sheep to slaughter. Her response was that she missed class on the 21st. Thanks for playing, the quiz was on the 14th. So much for "only missing class once". You would think she would have caught on and bothered to check with classmates which day the quiz was, or at least come up with a more convincing lie.

Instead of being annoyed or frustrated, I will just be amused. People are stupid. LOL.

2 comments:

Simi said...

hahahaha

i remember the days of being an undergraduate! you gotta try right?

i really did find my self taking grad school a lot more seriously and enjoying it more!

Emily said...

too funny! i bet i was totally that girl in undergrad :)

now when people miss class in law school I am like, OMG! what are they thinking?!?

funny how things change :)