Thursday, October 2, 2008

October

I am in a remarkably good mood today. Actually, minus the (1) panic about the missing cat and (2) stress induced over generals every time I was in my building on campus, I was in a remarkably good mood most of yesterday. It seems like yesterday was the first day in a week or two where I felt healthy (no headache, no cold). But mostly I think my good mood, both yesterday and today, was largely due to the weather. It was absolutely perfect yesterday and is supposed to be perfect again today.

Of course, to me "perfect" means that you can be comfortable outside walking in a sweatshirt, and that the sun is not too bright. Yesterday there was a high of 58 degrees, and today it is supposed to be 55. I love it. The cool fall air is so much more refreshing than the hot summer air, it makes me feel alive and happy. I find myself enjoying being outdoors again, and looking at my surroundings more and more. I notice the sconces on top of the boring campus buildings, the little orangish berries growing on some trees, the leaves green and colored blowing around, its just really quite beautiful this time of year. I love walking Grim in this weather. The walk can be longer without being sweaty. All of the houses have Halloween decorations in the front yards and everything smells so good.

Additionally, yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in four months. It was the first time EVER that I actually had a positive emotional reaction to the smell of a gym. I know, that probably sounds weird in multiple ways. First, I should explain that I smell a lot, and smells mean a lot to me. Smells are highly linked to memories and emotions for me, they always have been. I smell things DH does not, both good and bad. I know the smell of winter, the smell of DH in the winter versus DH in the summer, the smell of Duluth in all seasons, the smell of my parents house, the smell that comes with a day out in the sun, the smell of fall, the smell of football, the smell of Halloween, the smell of an Ohio summer, the smell of cold... they are all distinct to me and each come with a whole different set of emotions (in all of these cases, positive emotions).

In the past, the gym certainly would have been a negative smell to me. Disgusting. Sweaty. Gross. I hate working out. I have never been one of those people who found running or really exerting myself a joy. I like playing sports, they are competitive and fun, but I never could just go run or lift weights, I get no satisfaction out of it and it hurts. Well, maybe those days are over, because when I smelled the gym yesterday it brought on positive emotions, can do emotions, an urge to get healthy. I guess its been a long time since I did anything very physical, and my body wants to start being used again! I plan to work out 4 days a week this quarter, so it will be getting more use.

Ok. I am going to sign off before I make myself sound any crazier. But, to recap, if you are keeping track, I am strongly effected by (1) memories (2) weather and (3) smells. I guess that next time someone asks me "what inspires you" I should list these three things, because really they are the little things in life that are great.

No comments: