Monday, January 12, 2009

Another Morning Treat

Due to Southern (or less jargon-like, the annual Southern Political Science Association conference), my class today was canceled, and therefore I get to stay home and work here. So, I was out walking the dog this morning. The ice of yesterday has been coated in 2 inches of snow, which is quite to my liking. It was not at all quiet like yesterday, tons of people out and about - dogs being walked, kids waiting for the sch0ol but, neighbors shoveling snow and heating up their cars, but my neighborhood had another treat in store for me: cardinals.

A mating pair of cardinals was flitting around a leafless scraggly bush, the male's fury red and females softer red accents contrasting beautifully against the fresh fallen snow. I wish I had had my camera with me, though even if I had I probably could not have gotten close enough for a good picture. I was about 5 feet from the male when he realized I was there and flitted to the other side of the bush. As I stood their watching them flutter branch to branch, wishing I could take the image with me, a pair of squirrels ran under the bush and up a nearby tree chasing one another. The whole scene was like something out of a Disney movie. Its a great way to start the morning, now if only I did not have a pounding headache.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a lovely start to the morning (minus the pounding head, of course!)