Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama's Inauguration

I watched Obama's inauguration today in the room in our building where talks are normally given. They streamed it from online and projected it onto the pull down screen. The room was filled with a haphazard gathering of those who could not make it home or to a party to watch (I am sure there were plenty of people in this department that were at parties for it).

It was amazing to see all the people gathered there infront of the capital to see him sworn in. This is history in the making. The vow he takes is simple and has lasted hundreds of years.

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

And thats that, he is the commander and chief! Its hard to wrap my head around. It is a very good feeling to have Obama officially in office. No more of this "president elect" crap, Bush had been so lame duck for so long, it was getting ridiculous. And now we have a President with a clear goal and a clear mandate, that is making history just by taking this oath. I am sure that fifty years from now my Grandchildren will study in school that Obama was the first black president, and I can tell them about the night he was elected and the day he was inaugurated. But more than anything, more than this giant step forward in equality, I hope that President Obama is remembered for much more than the color of his skin. I hope he is remembered for changing the course of history and bringing a new period to American politics. It is a lot to ask for, but I think he might be up to it.

No comments: