Friday, January 30, 2009

“So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending.”

I found the quote the titles this post while browsing Tolkien quotes. I think thought it was fitting for this blog in general, though I wish that I had something more specifically relevant to post under it as a heading. Because while this post is about snow, I don't think its really about the end of any dragons (unfortunately). I will have to keep this quote around though.

Anyways, its been a couple of days since I posted, and I have no excuse. I had time to post. I had ideas of things to post. I just flat out did not do it. Not sure why. But now I am posting so lets end the apologies and move onto the substance.

It seems that here, in my third winter in Ohio, mother nature has finally decided to give me a proper winter. First, the subzero temperatures, now some real snow. We had a three day storm that dropped about eight inches. The city does not know how to handle it, so the roads are still a disaster, but I still enjoy it being wintery out. I even would have gotten a day off... if it had not been the day I stay home to work anyways. Now they are speaking of a "Ground Hogs Day Storm" , that will bring complete chaos. I think its about time I posted the much promised list I planned to make so long ago: what do I like about snow and cold that most people who do not like these things do not know or realize. I started thinking up this list the first time that someone accused me of only liking snow and winter because of the bragging rights it afforded me (like when I can say, "10 degrees, thats not cold! Cold is -60, or windchills of -100! Cold is jumping through a hole in the ice when its -40 outside! 10 degrees ABOVE zero is downright tropical!"). But there are a lot of reasons I love winter, and a lot of things people do not think of when they proclaim their hatred of winter.

Top Ten Things that People Don't Realize about Snow and Cold
(Or, Why I Love Winter)

(10)
If you dress properly, you will not feel cold, even if its -40 degrees. I spend more time in Ohio cold than I do in Minnesota because in Minnesota I dress properly, whereas in Ohio I just wear whatever. Just because its cold outside does not mean that you have to be cold when you go outside.

(9) Similarly, snow does not make driving inherently bad. If roads are properly plowed, graveled, and salted (salt should be used SPARINGLY, it is not a cure all!), and drivers are properly prepared (snow tires and proper caution) then driving in the winter or even after 4, 6, 8 inches of snowfall overnight is not a big deal. It does not have to shut down schools, it does not have to cause a million accidents.

(8) Cold weather, especially extreme cold, offers itself up for all kinds of amazing science projects. Did you know boiling water can actually freeze faster than cold water? Did you know that if its cold enough, you can throw boiling water up into the air and watch it come down as snow? For the curious mind, winter is a laboratory.

(7) Snow is beautiful. Very beautiful. I know it is cliche, but snow paints the world white, a soft pure blanket. It covers up dirt and imperfections. Icicles hang like Christmas ornaments off trees and houses.

(6) When you come in from being outside in the cold and snow your cheeks tingle. It is a wonderful feeling, the process of snuggling in and warming up being made that much sweeter by the temperatures outside. Sitting on your couch inside a warm blanket with a loved one, watching snow fall outside, brings a wonderful sense of security and comfort that is not possible during the summer months. Who wants to be physically near someone when it is 90 degrees outside? Much nicer to cuddle in winter!

(5) A big thing to realize about winter is that it brings variety to our lives. Humans have a tendency to take things for granted, to forget how nice something is if its around all the time. In this vein, Winter is what makes Spring enjoyable. If it was always nice out, we would never appreciate the way that flowers poke up through the snow and bring color to the whiteness. We would never stop and notice the wonderful scents and sounds of the world thawing. We would pay less attention to the beauty that is outside us because it would always be the same. The first snowfall is made beautiful by the fact we have not seen snow in several months and it has its unique beauty. The first robin in the spring is made beautiful by its absence during winter.

(4) Deep snow is like a giant adult ball pit. When you have 18+ inches on the ground, you can run around, wrestle, fall down, trip, and it doesn't matter. You won't get hurt, there is serious padding there that breaks your fall. It provides a freedom and carelessness that becomes harder and harder to obtain in other manners as we grow older.

(3) Snow gives us the opportunity to act like kids again, to propel ourselves down giant hills on sleds or skis just for the sure joy of it, to throw snow balls, build snow forts, and whitewash friends as they walk under trees. It leads to shrieks of surprise and laughter. I challenge you to put on a snowsuit next time there is a foot of snow on the ground and go out and chase your kids, chase your dog, build a fort, have a snowball fight, climb a snow bank. It rocks.

(2) Cold air and the cool touch of snowflakes on your skin is incredibly refreshing. It invigorates the senses and reminds us that we are alive.

(1) The blanket of snow on the world is like a giant mute, muffling all the noise. When it gets really cold, the sky is as clear as it ever will be, and it is as silent as it ever will be. Being outdoors at night when there is snow and subzero temperatures is the most tranquil place you will ever be, the most still and silent you will ever experience the world. It is truly peaceful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOOOOOOOOOOO winter! whohoo!!!!!!! nice job OHIO!

11) Watching a sunrise through the steam rising off of the lake as it FREEZES because it's 50 degrees warmer than the air is stunning

;-) lk

rising esoteric said...

coming to you live from KOREA! (whee!)

Korea has no snow whatsoever. Which is kind of a let down.

Snow laboratory rocks. People from as near south as Southern Wisconsin don't know about the boiling water snow trick until you show them...funny that.

crrv said...

#1 and 5 are the reasons I most love winter!

And I had no idea about the boiling water thing. I must do this for Ruby and Violet.

Manday said...

I am afraid it doesn't get cold enough to do the boiling water trick in Ohio. I think it has to be -25 F