Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Super Bowl

This weekend was of course one of my favorite weekends of the year- Super Bowl Weekend! There are four major reasons I LOVE the Super Bowl.

1. The Football! Of course this is the first and foremost reason. Its always fun to watch a good game of football, and the Super Bowl tends to be a good game, with emotions running high. While I would have preferred a different match up this year, I was very happy that Pittsburgh made it. I know this kind of puts me out of the cold in Ohio, but I have cheered for the Steelers since I was in High School, placing their success secondary only to the Vikings. I am not sure why I chose them. I think I liked their gritty, lets-get-to-it style and their hard core determination. I also LOVE scrambling quarterbacks. QBs like Roethlisberger, who dodge sacks and get the ball off in the nick of time are so much fun to watch! So, needless to say, I was very pleased with the outcome, and to put the icing on the cake, Santonio Holmes, the MVP wide receiver of the match, is from OSU.

2. The Friends! I love having people over, and the Super Bowl is one of the rare events where it is both socially acceptable and socially comfortable to invite a wide swath of friends and acquaintences without worrying about who will actually come and what they will think about the party. I sent out 30 invites that were very broadly open. (i.e. - bring your self, your significant others, insignificant others, friends, and feel free to forward this invite to anyone whose email I missed). We ended up with 20 people coming, and it was so much fun!! The scheme of setting up a table in the kitchen (where people can still see the TV) for those who really were not there for the football worked out beautifully. They could sit there and talk about talk about whatever while still being able to see the game and the commercials and be part of the same party, without annoying/frustrating people who actually wanted to concentrate on the game. Complete success, everyone had a good time!

3. The Food! I go way overboard on cooking for parties in general, and especially for the Super Bowl! For Arizona I served tostido chips with salsa, taco dip, and jimmy crack corn dip. For Pittsburgh I served kielbasa bites with plenty of Heinz products to dip them in, and IC Light beer. DH made little mini sandwiches on Hawaiian roles, and for something sweet I made two kinds of cupcakes. Then, people brought peanut butter fudge, two kinds of meatballs, brownie bites, crackers with herb spread, rice krispy treats, potato chips, and I am sure other things I am forgetting! We ate like kings, and have leftovers to get us through the entire week if we want.

4. The Commercials! I puffy heart Super Bowl commercials. To watch this years you can go to Fan House. I thought that they were WAY better than last year. I distintly remember being underwhelmed last year whereas this year there were probably ten or twenty that either made me laugh or I thought were really cute. The website I linked to has its own top ten, but here is my top ten. I have listed then by the same title they are listed at the website.
  1. Monstor "Moose" (Q3)
  2. Careerbuilders "Hate Work" (Q3)
  3. High Life's One Second Ad
  4. Audi "Transporter" (Q1)
  5. E-trade "Babies" (Q2)
  6. Bridgestone "Mr Potato Head" (Q1)
  7. CocaCola "Picnic" (Q3)
  8. Bud Light "Conan" (Q1)
  9. Cash4Gold "MC Hammer" (Q4)
  10. Priceline "Shatner" (Q3)
There were three OK Budweiser Clydesdale Ads, they were cute enough but they have become so predictable in my opinion. Anyways, hope you enjoy those!

Only 370 days until the next Super Bowl Weekend...

:-)

No comments: