Friday, February 6, 2009

Despite my best judgement...

Despite my best judgment I am typing this post from my office. As horrible as I felt when I woke up this morning, as little sleep as I got, I still had to come to work, people were counting on me. I had been assigned the task this week of filling out the paper for, ordering, and picking up lunch for a meeting. And due to bureaucracy, shifting that responsibility to someone else would have been no small task.

When DH was driving me to campus it was quite obvious to me I was in no shape to sit through a formal theory luncheon, and I could not imagine the others would be thrilled to have me sneezing on their food in the close quarters. So, I decided to just drop off the lunch, go to my early recitation session, and go home early.

So I went to sign out the departmental credit card to pick up lunch, only to find that the entire office staff decided today was a great day for a vacation. *sigh*. I KNOW people need a vacation, but there are at least THREE people who could have signed out the card to me and NONE of them were there. In fact, out of about 7-8 full time office staff, one was there this morning. How is that acceptable? This is regular business hours they realize. Anyways, the one guy who was there ran around and tried to help me, but he couldn't find the card and he could not find anyone who would know where it was. I ended up having to spot the department $80 in box lunches, hopefully they will reimburse me. The guy who tried to help me said he would personally reimburse me if the department would not, but the whole thing is just ridiculous.

I walked down to Panera and got the lunches, lugged them all back (9 box lunches make for one LARGE bag). By the time I got back to the department I hardly could breathe. One of the leaders of the luncheon met me on the stair case and took them from me, but when I got to my office I pretty much collapsed into the chair and just sat their trying to catch my breath for several minutes. And that is how I know I really am sick, and that I am making the right decision to skip the meeting.

Now I have what I am sure is a tasty Panera box lunch sitting on my desk, and absolutely NO appetite for it, though I will probably try and force myself to eat at least half of it in a minute here. Then I am off to try and get reimbursed, then to my recitation, then home, no doubt to crash and sleep all afternoon.

No comments: