Saturday, February 28, 2009

Game Night!!

I hosted a game night last night and it was a huge success! I sent out an invite via email (standard in our group of friends) on Tuesday. Three people responded immediately with RSVPs and then I heard from no one else. I figured, hey, five or six people is a good number for a game night, increases the variety of games available, that it would be fun, but I thought it was weird no one else responded.

Friday morning, the same day as the game night, the RSVP count rapidly increases. 2 more. 4 more. 6 more. 7 more. As it turns out, out of the 12 people invited, 11 had been planning to come, its just that only 3 RSVPed properly. I think this story is both annoying and highly amusing. I am glad everyone could come and we had an awesome time, just wish I had known sooner!!

Anyways, after a quick round of a game called Rorschach, we ended up playing a giant game of Apples to Apples the rest of the night that grew more and more amusing as the wine, ingredients for Mimosa's, and leftover Super Bowl beer disappeared. It was a lot of fun and we had some brilliant "create your own" cards played. Eventually the game devolved into four of us playing and everyone else wrestling with the dogs (plural because our guests brought Grim a playmate), and then broke into Rock Band. Besides the fact that Gandalf ended up locked in the Sun Room overnight, everyone had a good time and got home safely.

On a side note, during the game, when it was my turn to judge, someone played the card "rappers" on the adjective incompetent and my response was "Rappers are not incompetent! I like Eminem", which produced surprise from the group, so I though I would take this opportunity to openly declare my fandom for Eminem. I think he is a great artist. While a lot of rap is neither musical nor intelligent, and much rap embraces stereotypical themes like sex, gang life, and money, I find Eminem to be a great exception. His music is interesting, the lyrics are clearly spoken and have high poetic value, and he takes on all sorts of very serious topics including things like the love for his daughter, dealing with his daughters mother, growing up poor, and many political issues, and yes I am sure it helps that I agree with his politics. So, I like Eminem. I find his music engaging and honest. With that in mind, here are some select Eminem Lyrics for you:

"I remember back one year when daddy had no money
Mommy wrapped the Christmas presents up
And stuck 'em under the tree and said some of 'em were from me
Cuz daddy couldn't buy 'em
I'll never forget that Christmas I sat up the whole night crying
Cuz daddy felt like a bum, see daddy had a job
But his job was to keep the food on the table for you and mom
And at the time every house that we lived in
Either kept getting broke into and robbed
Or shot up on the block and your mom was saving money for you in a jar
Tryna start a piggy bank for you so you could go to college
Almost had a thousand dollars till someone broke in and stole it
And I know it hurt so bad it broke your momma's heart
And it seemed like everything was just startin' to fall apart"
- Mockingbird

"And as we proceed to mosh through this desert storm.. in these closing statements, if they should argue, let us beg to differ.. as we set aside our differences, and assemble our own army to disarm this weapon of mass destruction that we call our president for the present.. and mosh for the future of our next generation.. to speak and be heard.. Mr President.. Mr Senator.." - Mosh

"Yeah you laugh till your ass gets drafted
While you're at band camp thinkin the crap can't happen
'Til you mess around, get an anthrax napkin
Inside a package wrapped in Saran Wrap wrappin
Open the plastic and then you stand back gaspin
Assassins, hijackin Amtraks, crashin
All this terror, America demands action
Next thing you know, you've got Uncle Sam's ass askin
to join the Army or what you'll do for their Navy
You just a baby, gettin recruited at eighteen
You're on a plane now, eatin their food and their baked beans"
- Square Dance

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have to agree with you about eminem, though i haven't heard much of his work, i find it to have great insight

-lk

ps dont' tell any english teachers that.

rising esoteric said...

go you! way to create amusing sounding chaos.

I never read song lyrics. Eninem sounds interesting and harshly realistic. I've usually thought rappers were crazy talented because they can talk so fast and remember what they are saying.

Though I to confess I don't usually listen. It's too *thunk-thunk-thunk* for me most of the time.