Sunday, February 15, 2009

Will you be my Valentine?

For someone who said she was not going to make a big deal out of Valentine's Day this year, who told her husband not to worry about planning or getting anything, who said it was just another day, I sure had an amazing Valentine's Day!

We started off by heading out to dinner at Raising Canes, nothing fancy, just tasty fried chicken and good conversation (and sweet tea of course!). Raising Canes is a local Columbus chain that has really tasty food but a very limited menu - very fresh fried chicken, coleslaw (the best coleslaw every in my opinion!), garlic bread, fries, and of course their secret sauce. That stuff is seriously addictive.

Anyways, after dinner we drove over the the mall, browsed a very packed Circuit City (with its going out of Business Sale), and then checked out the new Barnes & Nobles. It was very nice just casually browsing books. I am looking for something for Book Club next month, I am hosting so I pick the book.

Eventually, around7pm, we headed over towards Louis Center to find an ice rink with an open skate that DH had found. We drove all over Louis Center, Polaris, and Worthington for a half hour. We almost gave up once, and then we found it. The driving around and getting lost was actually quite fun. I like doing that when you are not in a hurry, because it helps to get to know an area. Once we made it to the rink we strapped on some (nice) rented skates and hopped on the ice! I haven't been ice skating in ages! I think the last time I was ice skating was Sophomore year of college during Christmas break, and that was only for five minutes because my skates did not fit and they were hurting me. Before then, who knows when I ice skated. A comment to this effect, that I had not been ice skating in forever, is what prompted DH to find somewhere to take me.

Ice skating is like riding a bike, it comes right back to you. Before long, we were zipping around. Things like Ice Skating are so liberating, and you forget that until you are actually doing it. Once your body remembers exactly how it feels, a sort of fearlessness sets in and before long you are seeing how fast you can go and how sharp you can turn. In general, DH is a much better skater than I am, though the disparity is much less apparent on ice then rollerblading. It helps that I am not all that afraid of falling on ice. Yeah, you can get hurt, but at least you already have the ice right there to treat the injury! lol. Falling on pavement seems much scarier than falling on ice. DH also tried to teach me to skate backwards. There was definite improvement, though I won't be doing it on my own quite yet!

After our legs had grown wary and the open skate started to come to a close, I was not quite ready to go home. We were having so much fun, I wanted the night to last longer. So, we drove over to the dollar theater to see if we could catch any late shows. We ended up going to see The Spirit, a comic book movie. It was, whats the right word, extremely odd? Peculiar? Artsy? It was, however, entertaining in its strangeness, you never quite knew what would come next, and it had some visually stunning elements. I think they were really trying to keep it true to both the spirit and the style of the comic book. I thought it was a lot of fun. Then, as Dairy Queen was closed and we both were exhausted anyways, we headed back home. It was a really fun and spontaneous night!

4 comments:

Kim and Dave said...

That sounds like a great day!

rising esoteric said...

it sounds really romantic in a low key, normal sort of way. that's fantastic.

Anonymous said...

- If you haven't found a book, I recommend "Better Off" about an MIT grad student and his wife who decide to live for 18 months without power in an "amish" community. I'm only partially through the book, but it has a lot of interesting reflections on our society that I think you (and others!) would enjoy

- I laugh at the idea that skating is like riding a bike. I'm pretty sure I'd die if I tried to ice skate now

- you are SUCH a keener: "at least if you fall the ice is already there!" LOVE IT

-lk

Wandering Explorer said...

Spontaneous is the best way to celebrate such days.