Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The End of Carnival

Well, its fat Tuesday, the end of Carnival, and while I have no religious reason to observe lent, I think that giving up a luxury of some variety for 40 days is a good way to practice self control and to remind myself that there is a lot in my life that I do not need, that I just want.

So, that said, for the next forty days I am giving up Chocolate in most of its forms. No chocolate bars, chocolate desserts, chocolate frostings, no Mole for me (the Mexican dish that uses a chocolate based sauce). The one exception I am making is Hot Chocolate, if a drink is chocolate flavored (like chocolate raspberry coffee or something), or I have hot chocolate, it is fine. This exception mainly has to do with the fact I have a number of delicious gourmet hot chocolate mixes from a Christmas present and do not want them to go to waste this winter (I will likely lose them by next winter).

Hope everyone had a drink in honor of Mardi Gras!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they serve Fasnachts in Ohio...Here in PA ....every bakery was most busy today ...

we used to have one bakery that made "good" ones...but some are just that "used up lard"..

Anonymous said...

Are those like the Putchzi served in Michigan? Polish jelly donuts?

-lk

Manday said...

I am really clueless! I did not seek out and special pastries this Carnival season, so I don't know.